The Cabrillo College Leadership Academy is an 8-week program focused on helping you develop as a leader!
Your development as a leader is a journey, and those who succeed are the ones who have a clear destination, an inner compass, and a map of the territory to guide them. To be successful, you need to understand what others expect of you, and you need to have a firm understanding of your personal leadership strengths and challenges. You also need to be able to mobilize and motivate groups of people to achieve results, and drive organizational change.
You’ll learn the necessary skills in this 8-week certificate program which is designed to demonstrate and teach the importance of credibility, accountability and responsibility for individuals at all levels. We provide a performance-based approach to learning the skills you need to become leaders within your organization and in your personal life.
Come to Cabrillo Extension’s Leadership Academy and transform into the leader you want to be!
Five Practices of Exemplary Leaders
What makes a great leader? You’ll have many answers of your own, but in some very critical ways, your answers are likely to overlap with the answers discovered by Kouzes and Posner in the 25+ years of research they have conducted that has become, “The Leadership Challenge.”® In this dynamic session, you will:
- Explore the critical importance of credibility as a leader and make a plan to enhance your own.
- Learn about the 5 Practices of Exemplary Leaders described in “The Leadership Challenge”®
- Compare your experience and understand the importance of the 5 Practices to you, your organization, and its success.
Developing as a Leader: Your Personal Story
Becoming a great leader is a very personal journey. It starts with a rich understanding of a leader’s role, and continues as you clarify your personal values, strengths, and challenges. In this class, you will:
Understand the stages of leadership development and the competencies needed for success in various stages.
Develop an understanding of different leadership styles and the impact of each.
Clarify your personal values, and compare those to your work values.
Building Emotional Intelligence and Self-Awareness
To be emotionally intelligent means to have and demonstrate self-awareness and to be able to self-regulate, as well as to have social awareness so that you can manage your relationships and build trust with others. Emotional intelligence empowers you to communicate with a higher degree of competency and is a critical skill in work and in everyday life. In this module you will:
- Understand the four components of emotional intelligence.
- Practice powerful techniques for developing greater self-awareness and relationship management.
- Learn three ways to “prime” yourself for greater success and being a resilient leader.
Setting Goals and Achieving Results
One of your primary responsibilities as a leader is to drive your team toward results. This involves being crystal clear about where you are heading, why, and then managing the needs, expectations, and workload of your team in order to achieve those results. Come to this class to:
- Explore effective time management.
- Create SMART Goals that lead to desired results.
- Identify and breakdown organizational goals into daily activities to ensure alignment and enhance credibility.
One of the primary responsibilities of a developing leader is to delegate effectively. You need to be able to identify an employee’s strengths and weaknesses, select and delineate work tasks clearly, and appropriately monitor the execution of the tasks throughout the employee development process. Come to this class to:
- Learn when to delegate, when to coach, when to support, and when to direct.
- Identify tasks that you can safely delegate.
- Practice following-up with employees after the fact to ensure that tasks are done completely and appropriately, and that employees are learning the skills they need to succeed.
Making Meetings Work: The Essentials
In today’s workplace, we use meetings to get work done. Meetings provide an opportunity to clearly communicate expectations, information, and feedback that enable us to prioritize and align our work. In this essential leadership course, you will learn to make the most of your meeting time. In this class, you will:
- Write an agenda and create roles to effectively facilitate a meeting.
- Design a meeting process that gets results.
- Stimulate the “right kind” of conflict in a meeting.
Leading Organizational Change
As a leader, you are called upon to lead yourself and others through the change process. In times of change, it is important for us to deepen our capacity to act with presence, purpose, and awareness as we lead others toward new horizons. In this workshop you will:
- Develop a deeper understanding of your role as a change leader.
- Learn valuable communication skills that will inspire and motivate your team.
- Explore and apply a dynamic model for leading organizational change.
Coaching for Improvement and Development
Developing others is one of our primary responsibilities as leaders. Identifying the strengths and challenges of our team members, and then creating opportunities for them to develop is essential to our team’s success. In this class you will:
- Understand the primary building blocks of good coaching: curiosity and asking good questions.
- Learn how to coach for improvement.
- Guide your employees to their highest potential.
About the Instructor
Jennifer Mount has over 15 years of experience in the design and facilitation of professional and leadership development curriculum. Her work has crossed the globe and many industries and has coached Fortune 500 Companies such as Microsoft, 3M, and Amgen as well as start-ups, non-profits, small businesses, and entrepreneurs to help enhance employee leadership skills and work performance.
Registration is Easy!
- Create or log in to your Extension profile - no college application required!
- Find your class(es) and add to your cart
- Click "Checkout" to complete your payment by Visa or Mastercard
The Extension team is available by phone Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
6500 Soquel Dr., Building 2100A
Aptos, CA 95003