Teaching with Extension
Thank you for your interest in teaching with Cabrillo Extension! We are always looking for new ideas and classes. If you are interested in teaching a specific class, and have professional and/or teaching experience in your field, we would be interested in reviewing your application and proposal for future consideration. The broad areas that we look at are content, instructor qualifications, and marketability.
Deadlines to Submit Class Proposals:
Adult Classes to be offered in Winter 2024: November 8, 2023
Adult Classes to be offered in Spring 2024: January 12, 2024
Youth Classes to be offered in Summer 2024: January 19, 2024
Adult Classes to be offered in Summer 2024: January 26, 2024
Want to teach with us? Cabrillo Extension instructors are given access to use the beautiful campus spaces to lead classes and workshops, as well as the support of the Extension team to handle registration, customer service, and more to let you focus on what you do best - sharing your expertise with the community.
Lead camps for the youngest members of the community! Extension offers a summer youth program for campers aged 5-18, with a focus on 6-12 year olds, in the categories of arts, culinary, STEM, sports, and leadership and academic success. Teach for just one week, or all summer long!
The Cabrillo Extension program is always looking for new ideas and classes. If you are interested in teaching a specific class, and have professional and/or teaching experience in your field, we would be interested in reviewing your application and proposal for future consideration. The broad areas that we look at are content, instructor qualifications, and marketability.
We are currently seeking instructors with the following specialties:
Health, Wellness, and Nutrition
Home and Garden
History and Nature
Visual or Performing Arts
Human Resource Management
Supervisory and Soft-Skills
Industrial Technologies (mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, etc.)
Technology: Google suite, Cloud systems, SQL, Mac device classes (iphone, ipad)
Youth Programs - school year classes and summer camps for youth and teens in the following areas:
Music and visual arts, computers and technology, culinary and nutrition, science and engineering, sports and play, academic and leadership. For more information, please review the Youth Camp Leader position description.
For returning instructors who wish to repeat a class that you have offered in the past, please note the deadlines above for submitting class or camp dates, which you may email to Jill Gallo, Alicia Bierson, or Scott Johnson.
Once you complete and submit the digital forms above they are immediately available to the Extension team for review.
Cabrillo College's Contract Education Program delivers cutting edge training programs for local and regional businesses. If you are a subject matter expert with experience training in a business setting, and you are interested in working on a contract basis, please let us know. You can submit your resume, cover letter and a sample of your teaching materials directly to email@example.com
Once your resume has been reviewed, you may be asked to participate in a telephone or in-person interview followed by a teaching demonstration. If approved, you will become an eligible member of our instructor pool and offered contract positions on an as-needed basis.
Though we do much of our business delivering soft-skills training programs, a wide variety of subject matter experts are encouraged to apply.
Currently, we are seeking instructors with the following specialties:
- Vocational English as a Second Language
- Continuous Process Improvement and LEAN principles
- Human Resource Management
- Supervisory and Soft-Skills
- Industrial Technologies (mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, etc.)
- Technology instructors:
Specifically seeking those who can teach virtual collaboration systems, Mac device classes (iPhone, iPad) and home networking systems
Subject matter expertise, as proven by at least 5 years experience working in a given field. Master's degree and at least 4 years college level teaching experience preferred.
Required Professional Expertise:
- Knowledge of and commitment to training strategies and methods which support skill development, transfer of learning and the attainment of measurable results in business environments.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to interface professionally in business environments, and be an ambassador for Cabrillo College and our diverse programs and offerings.
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses or perform the duties effectively as described above (teaching demonstration will be part of the interview).
- Ability to communicate well with trainees from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds, including trainees with disabilities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other training team members and participate in team initiatives and team meetings.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Scott Johnson, Director
Jill Gallo, Assistant Director